Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Luca William Soza

Introducing Luca William Soza!

Our newest little bundle of joy was born June 27th at 4:36 am. He was 8.2 lbs and 19" long. Here is his birth story. Sorry so long ;)




In the middle of the night on the 26th I woke up around 3 in the morning with some pain that I thought felt like labor. I had the pain in my belly similar to cramps but wasn't really feeling any tightening. I couldn't really remember if I had tightening with Kian at this stage. I remember it being more like a wave of pain that I eventually realized were coming regularly. This time I stayed awake for about 2 hours and then it stopped so I went back to sleep. I woke up feeling really dizzy and was thinking that I must have been dehydrated. I decided to stay home because I didn't want to drive dizzy. Through out the day I started to feel less dizzy but was literally having Braxton hicks every time I stood up, but not the pain that I experienced as labor in the past. A few days before we found out that the crib that we had for Kian had been recalled, so around 5:30 I met Marcio at Burlington coat factory to pick out another crib and to return the one we had. I had some pain in my lower right side while there and figured it was just persistent round ligament pain that I have felt various times throughout the pregnancy. We went home, at dinner and Marcio and Kian went upstairs to put the new crib together. I was sitting down stairs watching TV and leaned over to grab something and felt liquid. Without being too graphic I thought "did I just pee on myself" I got up and went to the bathroom and still wasn't sure what happened. I went upstairs and said "I either just peed or my water broke" I walked about three more steps and felt a gush. I said "no its my water". Marcio never heard me so I went and started to change my clothes when my mom said that he didn't hear me lol. He came in and we started grabbing stuff to take the hospital. Kian was a little confused as to what was going on. I felt instantly nervous and like my heart was racing. With Kian I new I was in labor the entire day and had that amount of time to wrap my mind around it. With this one it snuck up on me lol. We got the the hospital about 8 and when we pulled up and got out of the truck I felt another gush and was instantly completely soaked with water. I had no idea that when your water broke that it was this much! I started to panic because I was too embarrassed to walk into the emergency room and up to the next floor covered in water. This might sound ridiculous because as the nurse said "its natural" but to me it was still embarrassing. I got Marcio to drive up to the door and they brought me a wheel chair. We went and got checked in. They checked me and sad I was still only 2 cm along. I was relived to find out that Dr. Powers (who delivered Kian) was working on the floor that night so at least I knew there wouldn't be a repeat of Kian when the dr was at the gym working out while I waited to deliver. He came in and went ahead and signed to order to give me pitocin. This made me a little nervous because I have heard that your water being broken and having pitocin both make for harder labor. The started the pitocin around 11 I guess and the contractions started to get uncomfortable around 1. I wasn't sure if I should just get the epidural this early because I didn't want to take the chance of it wearing off but at the same time i knew that if I said I needed it that it could be another hour before the dr came and gave it to me. I guess I waited about 30-45 more minutes and then told them to do it. He came in and gave it to me around 1:30 and did the epidural. He unfortunately had a hard time doing it and said that he pulled fluid and that this can cause a head ache after the procedure. Marcio later said that he was making all kinds of faces that Marcio could tell it wasn't going as planned. It worked like a champ though and soon I wasn't feeling the contractions. I was less numb than I was with Kian. My legs felt basically normal and i could feel when I was having a contraction but couldn't feel the pain. Kym and Marcio laid down and Sara went out to the waiting room. They checked me and to my dismay said I was only 3cm. Ugh I had basically made no progress. We decided to try to take naps. This is actually a big joke because they come in the room about every five minutes and mess with the monitors. At I guess around 3 I started to feel the contractions again. The next time the nurse came in she said she would adjust the epidural but that she wanted to check me. When she did she said I was like and 8 or a 9. Marcio sat up and said "did you just say 8?" . She told me that if the epidural helped we would go ahead and get to a 10 before we started to push but that if not that pushing would take the pain away (or help it). It didn't help and we were watching Luca's heart beat on the monitor and it was going down to about 70 where it had been up around 145. She came in and said that meant it was time to push. She told me to do so twice and then said "yeah stop that he is right there" She called the dr. and I believe I pushed 3 rounds of 3 pushes and he was out. I could not believe how quick it was. He didn't look that big when they put him on my chest and I said "he isn't that big!" The dr. said "not that big, he is a good size baby." I was so glad it was over and I immediately noticed that he was much pinker than Kian was and his eyes were kind of squinty. We all thought his eyes looked like my dads.


No comments:

Post a Comment