

The coolest thing about being a mom is when I get to do things with Kian that I did when I was little. My mom used to make salt dough when I was little and I loved playing with it. I remember sitting at our kitchen table waiting for her to finish making it. She would color it in all different colors and then give it to us on the table to play with. I remember it still being warm when she gave it to us and impatiently waiting for it to cool down. I don't have my moms recipe for salt dough so I just searched for one and it was a recipe that doesn't require cooking...no warm salt dough for Kian until I get the recipe from my mom. Here is the recipe I used:
Basic Salt Dough Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup of fine salt
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of water (may add more)
Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine the salt and the flour
Make a well in the salt/flour mixture and add the water
Knead until smooth and shape into a ball
When not in use, wrap in plastic or store in an airtight container
HINT: To get a softer dough you can add more flour. Adding more salt will lend a more granulous affect.
I didn't have enough salt so I halved the recipe and it made plenty. Kian said he wanted it green so I colored it green.
He played at the table for like an hour with it. We made dogs,grass, balls, Kian cooked eggs with it, and made a cake. He was afraid of the garlic press that I squeezed the dough through. I haven't a clue why but it scared him...lol
I didn't see him try to eat any...but that is the beauty of salt dough. He would only try that once.
It was pretty cool making it for him and sitting down to play.
Fun! I'm not sure if Nicolaus would sit down that long for anything!
ReplyDelete